In 1961, Bill Braum purchased the company from his father and bought his first dairy farm in Emporia. In 1967, Bill grew the chain to 61 stores and increased the business tenfold. He then sold the “Peter Pan” retail stores to a large wholesaler. The sale did not include the Braum dairy herd and processing plant. As a condition of the sale, the Braums were not allowed to sell ice cream in Kansas for 10 years. In 1968, Bill and his wife, Mary, opened the first Braum’s Ice Cream and Dairy Store in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. That year, twenty three more stores opened throughout Oklahoma. For three years, because the Braum dairy herd and processing plant were still located in Emporia, Kansas, all ice cream, dairy products and other supplies were transported daily from Kansas to Oklahoma.

« 1950’s | 1970’s »