- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- ½ pound bacon, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 24 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- nutmeg, dash
- 1 cup whipping cream, plus extra 1/4 cup if needed
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter and cook bacon until lightly browned.
- Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add spinach, red bell pepper and garlic and cook until warm.
- Reduce heat and set aside.
- Using a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter; stir in flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg; slowly whisk in the cream; stir in cream cheese.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and stir until creamy.
- Add whipping cream as needed.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer.
- Stir as needed.
- When serving top with additional Parmesan cheese.